Who doesn’t like a nice cheese burger with bacon? And adding a lot of bacon and sausages don’t hurt either. When you use your imagination with all these ingredients something magical can happen.
If you are looking for a festive burger for a nice holiday celebration there is nothing like this Bacon Cheese Turtle burger. It is tasty, filling, and cute! And best of all: no turtles are hurt making this burger!
The burgers you make will be rather large, but you have to make them this big for everything to fit nicely together. Just share it with someone if you can’t have a whole one by yourself.
Makes 4 large turtle burgers
4 lbs of ground chuck (80% lean)
12 hot dog sausages of your choice (not too thick)
4 slices of American Cheese or any cheese you prefer
2 lbs of bacon (I prefer center cut)
- Form 4 patties (1 lbs each) and make them oval like a turtle body. Using a finger make four holes at the bottom of each corner of the patty for the legs. Make one hole in the center front from the top for the head and one on the back for the tail.
- Cut the sausages in half and cut each foot to simulate toes. Also cut the tail to make it sharp (or what ever shape you like). You will need the cuts in the image below for each turtle burger.
- Insert the legs in the holes at each corner of the burgers. You may have to adjust the length depending on the length of the hotdogs. It will require quite a lot of handling the meat and reforming it, but give yourself a little time and they will eventually look good.
- The feet may seem a little loose, but that will only be until the burger is cooked.
- Place a slice of cheese on the top of each turtle.
- Make a blanket of bacon folding over and under directly on the back of the turtle like in the image below.
- If you think the burger is a bit loose, don’t worry, the burger will firm up once cooked.
- Heat an oven to 400F and place turtles in the oven for 30-40 minutes until bacon is nice browned and crispy. You may want to use a meat thermometer to check the doneness of the meat (140F for medium).
- The burgers will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven, so plan the temperature accordingly.
Voila, a beautiful turtle burger that will make heads turn. Serve them in a bun with you favorite toppings or eat as a steak. It is all up to you.