These are great onion rings to serve with your burgers or as part of the burger. The onion rings are soft and fluffy rings that you will find absolutely delicious.
I also used these onion rings for this great BBQ style Cheyenne Burger.
1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour plus more for dredging
1 ½ tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
One 12 oz beer
¾ tsp fresh ground black pepper
Two large eggs separated
3 large yellow onions sliced in ¼ inch slices and separated into rings
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, paprika, salt and pepper until evenly mixed.
- In another bowl, beat the beer with egg yolks until blended.
- Whisk the beer-egg mixture into the flour until smooth.
- Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Set the deep fryer to 374F degrees and fill with oil according to the instructions on the fryer.
- Heat oven to 200F degrees.
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold them into the beer batter.
- Dredge onions in flour and shake off excess.
- Dip onions into the batter and cover. Shake excess off and plunge onion ring into the hot oil. Make 4-5 at a time and cook for 3 minutes.
- Take onion rings out of fryer and place on paper towel lined baking sheets. Season the rings with salt right away and place in warm oven until ready to eat.
- Continue to dip the onions in the batter and fry them until you have no more onions left.