If you get tired of fries when you are enjoying your burger at home, may I suggest that you try and make this wonderful chips. Plantain is a banana that’s firmer and lower in sugar than the dessert banana cousin.
Plantain is perfect for frying and doesn’t require a lot of preparation like normal French Fries. You basically just have to cut them up and cook them in the fryer. No other preparation is needed.
I recommend using a deep fryer for this recipe, but if you are comfortable using a deep pan with oil, go ahead and do that.
You also need a mandoline to slice the plantains super thin.
4 large plantain bananas
Oil for frying
- Slice plantains at an angle in super thin slices on mandoline. Be careful to read instruction on mandoline to prevent cutting yourself.
- Set fryer on 375F degrees
- When the fryer is hot dump each slice into fryer one by one to prevent them from sticking together. You have to make two batches for 4 bananas
- Fry for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and crispy
- Take the basket out of the oil and place chips on baking sheets lined with paper towel. Immediately season with salt.
The chips will cool pretty fast, but they are delicious cooled as well.