On a recent visit to Maple & Motor in Dallas I got a great and very traditional Texas style burger. In Texas we like our burgers with mustard as the only condiment. So no ketchup, mayo or ranch on a Texas burger.
The burger is super clean and very easy to make. The meat is the star in this burger and I made mine a 2/3 lbs cheese burger because (as you know) everything is bigger in Texas.
I cook these burger in a heavy cast iron skillet over high heat to get a good sear on the burgers.
Makes 4 large burgers
2.7 lbs ground chuck (80% lean)
8 slices American cheese
8-12 slices of tomatoes
4 slices of a large red onion
4 tbsp relish (your choice)
4 tsp yellow mustard
4 large burger buns, sliced open
Salt and pepper
- Shape 4 large 2/3 lbs patties 1 inch thick
- Season with salt and pepper
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat and wait until very hot
- Place patties in skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes for medium over high heat
- Flip burgers and place 2 slices of cheese on each burger. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Cook burgers until desired doneness, 3-4 more minutes for medium
- Heat buns in oven or toaster until golden brown inside
- Add lettuce and relish to bottom bun and place burger with cheese on top
- Apply mustard on top bun, add onion and tomatoes
- Serve right away